NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course – Overview
Short Description: The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting is intended for all individuals regardless of previous shooting experience or NRA-affiliation and is available for delivery in two ways:
Instructor Led: is the traditional, instructor-led course where you will receive direct instruction from an NRA-certified instructor from beginning to end.
Blended: has two components: a self-study or “eLearning module” which is completed online in your own timeframe and a hands-on practical portion conducted in a classroom and shooting range with an Instructor.
Both forms of instruction cover the following:
- Essential gun safety rules
- Different types of pistols and which one is best for you
- The basics of ammunition
- The fundamentals of pistol shooting
- Different shooting positions
- The most common shooting errors
- Proper gun cleaning and maintenance
- How to maintain your skills
NRA Instructor Led Basic Pistol Course
Instructor Led Only Training: The Instructor Led Only Basic Pistol Course takes place in a traditional classroom setting and range environment. Course topics include: gun safety rules, proper operation of revolvers and semi-automatic pistols, ammunition knowledge and selection, pistol selection and storage, shooting fundamentals, pistol inspection and maintenance, marksmanship, and shooting range safety.
Additionally, students will complete live fire training and a nationally standardized shooting qualification while on the range with an NRA Certified Instructor. Students will receive the NRA Guide: Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination and receive a course completion certificate bearing the signature of the NRA Secretary and your NRA Certified Instructor.
This course is completed in a single day format lasting about 8 hours.
NRA Basic Pistol Course: Blended-Phase II
The Blended training format provides students the flexibility to complete a significant portion of the course in an eLearning environment, prior to arriving for the classroom and range session with an NRA Certified Instructor. You can find the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Blended course at: https://onlinetraining.nra.org.
When you register for the blended course, you’ll create a unique username and password. Our instructors at APB Training will provide you with a Course Control Code and directions to complete the self-study portion of the course prior to class date. Once you have completed the online phase, you attend Phase II, the instructor-led training portion of the course.
During Phase II, our NRA Certified Instructors at APB Training will validate comprehension and application of gun safety rules, range protocol, proper handling, loading and unloading procedures, application of pistol shooting fundamentals and stable shooting positions. Additionally, students will complete live fire training and a nationally standardized shooting qualification while on the range with an NRA Certified Instructor. Students take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination and receive a course completion certificate bearing the signature of the NRA Secretary and your NRA Certified Instructor.
Course Duration: 4-6 hours
Cost: $210* / Special: 2 students for $350.
Cost: $35 and up
You must be able to drop off and pick up your gun in Bristol, PA
Please call or EMail for pricing.
Teach Me to Shoot!
Customized lessons for the new shooter. General handling and safety instruction then hands-on training at the shooting range. Basic knowledge and skills at your own pace. One hour classroom and 1/2 hour live-fire on the range. Lesson topics include:
- Gun safety rules
- Which pistol is best for you
- Shooting positions
- Proper gun cleaning and maintenance
- And much, much more
Cost: $125./hr* including gun rental, 15 rounds of ammo & a target
Proof Of Firearm Proficiency for Florida CCW Permits:
As per the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, the governing body which grants Concealed Carry Permits, applicants must demonstrate competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a Certificate of Completion or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is an acceptable form of Firearms Training Documentation:
- Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
- Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
- Any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
- Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
- Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association;
- Documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in an organized shooting competition is also acceptable.
Source: Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
*All courses require a 50% non-refundable reservation fee via PayPal. Class size is limited so that we may provide individualized instruction to all our participants.*
Classes and Range qualification will take place at Ready Aim Fire 5800 Elwood Ave F, Bristol, PA 19007